Monday, November 30, 2015

Author Kerr-Ann Dempster

Author Spotlight!

The Reluctant SacrificeBeneath Scarlett Valley (Scarlett Valley #1)


In my very first author spotlight, I have the Awesome Kerr-Ann Dempster author of Beneath Scarlett Valley and hers most recent novel The Reluctant Sacrifice. Kerr-Ann was very kind and let me interview her so my followers and fellow book worms could get to know her a little better. Thank you so much Kerr-Ann for being so kind and taking the time to answer my questions, I had so much fun reading your answers. Also her current novel "The Reluctant Sacrifice" is on sale for .99 cents and Beneath Scarlett Valley is currently free. To read my review for The Reluctant Sacrafice click here


1) Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I was born in Kingston, Jamaica where I got my start writing plays for a local church. After moving to the United States, I worked as a Flight Attendant and then in Marketing before deciding to pursue writing as a career and not just a hobby. I now live in Michigan where I am working on The Reluctant Huntress, a companion story to my YA novel, The Reluctant Sacrifice. When not writing, I spend my days reading, stalking my fellow authors on Instagram, and redecorating. I squeeze in an episode of The Big Bang Theory and The Vampire Diaries whenever I can. I am also a voracious book collector and have recently had my Amazon 1-click privilege revoked because I am prone to sleep-shopping.

I love chatting with readers and fellow authors. Find me on Instagram (author.kerr), Twitter (@annk3rr), and Facebook


2) When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

I began writing as a child. I started with poems and then plays. After moving to the U.S., I began experimenting with longer stories. I wrote Beneath Scarlett Valley in 2011. Upon completion, I shoved it under my bed and wrote The Reluctant Sacrifice. I then shoved it under my bed too and pulled out Beneath Scarlett Valley again. I published it in 2014.




3) Is there any author or book that influenced you in anyway either growing up or as an adult?

  1. J. K. Rowling. The woman is a genius. Her world building and attention to details are second to none.
  2. C.S. Lewis. His creativity is beyond anything we’re seeing today. He had just the perfect mixture of light and darkness without being heavy-handed.
  3. Nnedi Okorafor. Everything about her writing is fearless. I can’t get enough.
  4. Stephen King. He’s an expert on all things dark, creepy, and bloody.
  5. Ted Dekker. He gets it. He knows how to craft thought-provoking stories that stay in your head for years after reading them.




4) Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?

No. When I want something, I make it happen. We live in an age where publishing on your own is possible. Please notice, I didn’t say easy. Sure, uploading to Amazon is a no-brainer, but an author who wants to do more than see their name in print has to invest in their craft. I invested, heavily, while publishing The Reluctant Sacrifice. I hired writing coaches and editors. Then, I hired book designers, and reached out to beta readers and reviewers. Will I still consider a traditional publisher? Yes. I have a secret project that I intend to pitch. However, if it winds up at the bottom of a slush pile, I’ll send it off to beta-readers and see if they think the story is worth publishing.


5) How did you come up with this title?

I chose The Reluctant Sacrifice as I ironed out the details of the novel and became familiar with the lead character, Aubrey Shaw. After the first draft, I began to have doubts and so decided on the title, The Hunted. All my beta-readers hated the new title, and encouraged me to stick with my gut. So, I went back to The Reluctant Sacrifice. I am happy I did.

6) Do you ever experience writers block?

Unfortunately, yes. I hate not writing, but I’ve found that it’s my body’s way of telling me to take a break. A day or two away from my story usually gets rid of it.



7) Do you have any advice to give aspiring authors?

Be fearless. It is easy to play it safe by copying others. Resist the urge to do so. Find your own voice and ideas, then work your butt off to hone your style. Readers will thank you for it. Plus, it’s more fun than putting a spin on someone else’s story.



8) Is there anything you would like to say to your readers and fans?

Thank you. Every review and letter is appreciated and treasured.

Purchase Links For The Reluctant Sacrifice

Amazon
Book Depository
B&N

Purchase Links For Beneath Scarlett Valley

Amazon
iBooks
Kobo
Nook
Smashwords



-SandraTheBookWorm

No comments:

Post a Comment